How are columns used in the industry?
There are different kinds of industrial processes and different types of columns to be used for. Each type of column is designed and employed for specific separation, purification, or treatment purposes in various industries like the chemical, pharmaceutical, food & feed, and recycling industry. The operational parameters, flow rates, temperatures, and other factors are carefully controlled to achieve the desired outcomes in terms of product quality, efficiency, and environmental impact. If you are interested in a specific column, ask for our technical salesmen. They can assist you in dept with all technical product-related questions.
What type of columns do we have in stock?
At Foeth we have always an extensive inventory of used columns to choose from. We have the following types of columns in stock:
- Distillation Columns: Distillation columns are primarily used for the separation of liquid mixtures based on their boiling points. They are commonly employed in industries such as petroleum refining, chemical manufacturing, and beverage production. The process involves heating the mixture and allowing it to vaporize. The vapors rise through the column, while the components with lower boiling points condense and are collected at various heights within the column. This separation process enables the production of purified components or different fractions of a mixture.
- Extraction Columns: Extraction columns are utilized for extracting desired components from a liquid or solid matrix using a solvent. They find application in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, and natural product extraction. In an extraction column, the solvent is brought into contact with the feed material, allowing for the transfer of target components from the matrix to the solvent. The column may operate in different modes, such as countercurrent or crosscurrent, depending on the specific extraction process and objectives.
- Falling Film Evaporators: Falling film evaporators are employed for the concentration or purification of liquids by removing volatile components. They are widely used in industries such as food processing, chemical manufacturing, and wastewater treatment. In a falling film evaporator, the liquid forms a thin film as it flows down the inner surface of vertical tubes. Heat is applied to the tubes, causing the volatile components to evaporate from the liquid film. The resulting vapor is collected, while the concentrated liquid continues to flow down the tubes.
- Film Evaporators: Film evaporators operate similarly to falling film evaporators, but they can be oriented horizontally or vertically. They are utilized in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, and chemical manufacturing. In a film evaporator, a thin film of liquid flows over a heat exchange surface, and evaporation occurs as the liquid film is heated. This process enables the removal of volatile components or concentration of the liquid.
- Scrubbers: Scrubbers are used for air pollution control and the removal of pollutants or particulate matter from industrial exhaust gases or process streams. Scrubbers operate by passing the gas or stream through a liquid medium, where the pollutants are absorbed or chemically reacted with the liquid. This helps in reducing emissions and ensuring compliance with environmental regulations.
Ensure yourself with a successful purchase and request a sharp quote for the columns of your choice at Foeth!